About the Exhibit
This exhibit provides a sampling of television news clips from WMAR-TV in Baltimore, Maryland. The selected video clips relate broadly to themes of labor and poverty in city life between 1968 and 1970.
WMAR-TV was the first television station in Baltimore and the eleventh in the United States. Its first broadcast aired on October 30, 1947. The collection was donated to the University of Baltimore in 1984 by Abell Communications, Inc. The complete WMAR-TV Collection consists of over six million feet of 16 mm film and videotape created between 1948 and 1987. While the majority of the WMAR-TV News footage currently exists in analog form only, content indices are available in the collection database. Through the support of The John Ben Snow Foundation, Inc. and the University's Baltimore Renaissance Seed Scholarship Fund, selected footage has been converted into digital format.
For more information about the digitized items from the WMAR-TV Collection in this online exhibit, click here to visit the main digital collection page.
Credits: Exhibit curated by UB Special Collections & Archives staff in March 2012 and added to this site by Laura Bell in September 2019.